The United States Mint today, June 4, 2012, will release the 2012 United States Mint Silver Proof Set®. This set will be offered by the US Mint beginning at Noon (Eastern) for $67.95, plus the US Mint's standard shipping and handling charge of $4.95 per order.
Included as part of the annual set are a total of fourteen coins struck to proof quality at the US Mint's facility in San Fransisco. Of those fourteen, seven are struck from their standard base metal composition while the remaining seven are struck from a composition of 90% silver.
This gives each 2012 US Mint Silver Proof Set a total silver weight of 1.34 ounces. Based on the London Fix for Silver on Friday, June 1, 2012, of $27.38 an ounce, the melt value of the set equates to approximately $36.69.
The fourteen coins found in the 2012 US Mint Silver Proof Set are:
- 2012-S Lincoln Cent
- 2012-S Jefferson Nickel
- 2012-S Roosevelt Dime (struck from 90% silver)
- 2012-S El Yunque National Forest Quarter (struck from 90% silver)
- 2012-S Chaco Culture National Historical Park Quarter (struck from 90% silver)
- 2012-S Acadia National Park Quarter (struck from 90% silver)
- 2012-S Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Quarter (struck from 90% silver)
- 2012-S Denali National Park Quarter (struck from 90% silver)
- 2012-S Kennedy Half Dollars (struck from 90% silver)
- 2012-S Native American Dollar Coins
- 2012-S Arthur Presidential $1 Coin
- 2012-S Cleveland (1st Term) Presidential $1 Coin
- 2012-S Harrison Presidential $1 Coin
- 2012-S Cleveland (2nd Term) Presidential $1 Coin
As shown in the list above, the seven coins composed of 90% silver include the Roosevelt Dime, the Kennedy Half Dollar and the five 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters.
Of the above fourteen coins, ten of the coins feature designs never before released as part of an annual silver proof set from the US Mint. This includes the five 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters, the 2012 Native American $1 Coin and the four 2012 Presidential $1 Coins. The remaining four coins (cent, nickel, dime, half dollar) all have designs seen in previous years.
The United States Mint describes the proof quality finish of the coins and their packaging with this paragraph:
"United States Mint proof coins are extraordinarily brilliant, with sharp relief and a mirror-like background. Their frosted, sculpted foregrounds give them a special cameo effect. Proof blanks are specially treated, polished and cleaned to ensure high-quality strikes. The blanks are then fed into presses fitted with specially polished dies and struck at least twice to ensure sharp relief. The coins are then packaged in protective lenses to showcase and maintain their exceptional finish."
Orders for the 2012 United States Mint Silver Proof Set may be placed beginning at Noon (Eastern) on the Mint's online store located at http://www/usmint.gov/catalog. They may also be purchased by calling 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).